Step 1: Create an Outline
Before you begin writing your book trailer script, you should understand what the book is about. I’ve made it easy for you to make an outline! First write these things down:
- Title of the Book
- Author of the Book
Now find a picture of the book cover art!
Next, answer the questions below about your book as best you can. Write down each of your answers on a piece of paper or in a word document on your computer. Be as detailed as you want, but it’s also ok to keep your answers short.
- What is the world like in the book? Describe it.
- Who is the main character?
- Describe the main character as they are at the beginning of the book.
- What is the character’s life like? What problem does she or he face?
- What is the event or catalyst that sets the main character on their journey?
- How does the character or the character’s life change because of this event?
- Is there a villain or antagonist? What did they do that effected the main character? If no, is there an unusual or difficult circumstance that arises? Describe it.
Let’s use a very popular example to show you what this looks like:
Book Trailer Book Report Outline (Example)
Title: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
Author: J.K. Rowling
- What is the world like in the book? The story takes place in the real world with a hidden magical world that exists around us. It starts in a small town just outside of London, England.
- Who is the main character? Harry Potter
- Describe the main character as they are at the beginning of the book: A ten year old boy who was orphaned as a baby.
- What is the character’s life like? What problem does she or he face? He lives with cruel relatives who have hidden the fact that he has magic.
- What is the event or catalyst that sets the main character on their journey? Hagrid appears on Harry’s eleventh birthday and tells him that he’s really a wizard and gives Harry his Hogwarts invitation.
- How does the character change because of this event? He makes new friends and learns he is famous in the wizarding world because of his mysterious past.
- Is there a villain or antagonist? What did they do that effected the main character? Voldemort, Killed Harry’s parents
Having trouble? Brainstorm instead!
If you can’t answer all these questions about your specific book, just try to do the best you can! Use these questions can help you brainstorm and write down things about the character and plot you think are special, interesting, or unique!
Great! Now that you’ve made your outline, you’re ready to start writing your book trailer script!